Interesting facts about Portage Resale Shop you may not know
Our mission is to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and take in the stranger. Hearing the command of our Lord Jesus Christ to love one another as He loved us, the Portage Resale Shop has been established for ministries of compassion in our community.
1. We originally opened in 2004 in the Portage Mall, after Mayor Doug Olsen asked a group of Portage area pastors to form an organization to serve Portage residents.
2. Our original building was torn down in 2007, after a short hiatus, we reopened in South Haven.
3. In 2013 we moved back to Portage, in our current location.
4. Our building was a gift from Portage Christian Fellowship Church.
5. We started giving coats away in winter 2008.
6. We have given away over 35,000 coats so far. We take coat donations all year round.
7. We exist because of volunteers. Before the pandemic, we had 45 volunteers giving about a thousand hours of service a month. At one point in 2020 we were down to 6 volunteers. We are currently back to about 33 giving about 800 hours each month.
8. All of our clothing is just $1.00.
9. We recently gave about 5 acres of land to Housing Opportunities for them to build much needed low-income housing in Portage. In the current market the gift is worth about $500,000
10. We give financially to organizations such as food pantries, homeless shelters, feeding programs, and other outreaches.